Man who threatened to kill woman, burn down her house and slit her dogs’ throats jailed – The Irish Times

A 53-year-old man who threatened to kill a woman and burn down her house while also warning he would slit the throats of her dogs has been jailed for 39 months.

Shane Carroll was living at Beechwood Court in Carrigaline, Co Cork, when the offense took place in October 2023. He pleaded guilty to assault causing damage, criminal damage and theft.

Cork Circuit Criminal Court heard that Mr Carroll physically and verbally abused his then partner. The suspect previously lived in Australia, where he served prison sentences for serious crimes.

Sergeant Declan Healy told Judge Helen Boyle that gardaí were called to the property at 6.30pm on October 18, 2023.

“Gardaí encountered the injured party who had visible bruising and swelling to her face and blood all over her face and was clearly frightened. She said her partner Shane Carroll attacked her and was upstairs. Gardaí advised her to go to a neighbour’s house.”

Sergeant Healy said Mr Carroll was arrested for assault causing harm and taken to Togher Garda Station in Cork city. He said the injured party had made a statement to gardaí.

“She said she got up around noon earlier that day. She said she spoke to Shane Carroll about spending time together and he became extremely abusive and aggressive. He squeezed her neck so hard that she couldn’t breathe.

“He threatened to kill her and her dog and burn down the house. He hit her with his fists and continued to shout threats and abuse. He grabbed a portable makeup mirror and broke it over her. She fled to her bedroom.

“He followed her and hit her with his fist. There was blood all over her face. He took her phone to prevent her from calling for help.

Sergeant Healy said that when Mr Carroll discovered there was no beer in the fridge, he ordered the woman to go with him in a car to an off-licence.

“When he went to the store to get beer, she was shaking. When he returned, he shook her violently in an attempt to get her to stop. After getting beer, he squeezed a can and spilled the contents on the floor. He spat at her and hit her.

“He attacked her with her phone. He punched her in the face. She feared for her life. He told her not to go outside for a week so that no one would see the injuries on her face.”

The court heard Mr Carroll injured his hand while hitting the wall with his fist. This distraction allowed the woman to contact a family member who raised the alarm.

Sergeant Healy said no confessions have been made in the case. Carroll even described part of the complaint statement as “piffle.”

Judge Boyle was told that Carroll was from Cork and had moved to Australia as a teenager. While there, he was jailed for seven years for a kidnapping incident and five years for causing the death of a person as a result of heavy driving. He was a member of a motorcycle gang in Australia.

A victim impact statement was presented to Judge Boyle, who praised the woman for her strong character.

Taking into account the guilty pleas, she sentenced Carroll to three years and nine months, with the final six months suspended. She warned Mr Carroll not to go near the victim, contact her or try to speak to her again after his release from prison.