Shocker at MP University as Sanskrit professor brutally attacked by six men led by a student leader

The injured assistant professor Neeraj Dhakad (Photo | Special arrangement)

The injured assistant professor Neeraj Dhakad (Photo | Special arrangement)

BHOPAL: An assistant professor of Sanskrit was allegedly attacked by a group of men led by an influential student leader on the campus of a government college in central Madhya Pradesh’s Betul district on Friday afternoon.

The attack led by influential student leader Annu Thakur on the Jaywanti Haksar government college campus in Betul, which caused serious injuries to professor Neeraj Dhakad, revived the horrific memories of the 2006 murder of political science professor HS Sabharwal by a group of students at the University. Ujjain’s Madhav College.

Betul police have charged the six suspects with attempt to murder under IPC Section 307 and have also arrested all six, including the main suspect Aniket alias Annu Thakur, who, according to informed sources, enjoys strong political protection in Betul.

“All six suspects, including Thakur, have been arrested from Betul and adjoining districts,” Betul district police commissioner Nischal Jharia said. The new Indian Express on Saturday.

According to Betul Police sources, action is also likely to be taken against Thakur under the National Security Act (NSA) in the coming days.

Injured assistant professor Neeraj Dhakad has been admitted to a private hospital in Jabalpur district for treatment of head and eye injuries, besides a fracture in the elbow.

The shocking incident took place in the afternoon at the Sanskrit department of the government school in Betul district (about 180 km from the capital Bhopal) while the assistant professor was discussing marking and project-related issues with students.

“I was discussing scoring and project-related matters with five students when five to six men armed with lathis (wooden sticks) barged into the department. Led by Annu Thakur, the men first threw chilli powder in my eyes before attacking me with the lathis. They continued to attack me until I fell unconscious. Even my glass table in the ward was damaged in the attack. I don’t know why this attack happened, but I can identify one of the attackers, namely Annu Thakur,” Dhakad, whose head was bandaged and his left eyebrow was noticeably swollen during the attack, told reporters on Friday.

Although the professor claimed that he did not know why Annu Thakur and others attacked him, informed sources claim that the incident was related to Thakur putting pressure on the concerned assistant professor to award a scholarship to a girl student through the relax existing rules.

A 3.31-minute CCTV footage of the college showed men armed with lathis (one of them covering his face with a white gumcha) entering and leaving the floor where the Sanskrit department is located.

Thakur is currently pursuing the LLB course at another college in the same Betul district. He has been involved in five to seven cases of sexual assault and violent behavior outside the university campus in the past, but by using his strong political connections he has forced the victims to settle these cases out of court. He has also been involved in violent behavior on the university campus in the past, but due to his strong political connections, no reports were made to the police.

Since Thakur was a habitual troublemaker, the local police had taken preventive action against him under Section 110 CrPc (a bond of good conduct executed) on April 26 (during the Lok Sabha polls).

Eighteen years ago, in August 2006, Dr HS Sabharwal, the head of the political science department at Madhav College in Ujjain, suffered serious injuries in an alleged attack by students affiliated with the ABVP (student wing of RSS) on the college campus. The attack reportedly took place due to the cancellation of student elections due to irregularities. Sabharwal later died in hospital. However, the suspects were acquitted three years later in 2009 by a special court in Nagpur (where the trial took place on the orders of the Supreme Court) due to lack of sufficient evidence. However, one of the accused Vimal Tomar died in 2011 under mysterious circumstances in his native Gwalior.