Vande Bharat sleeper trains to be rolled out before August 15, commercial service within six months

The much-awaited sleeper version of the Vande Bharat trains will be launched before August 15, 2024. The train will undergo testing once it hits the track and is expected to begin commercial operations within six months. According to railway officials, production of the Indian-made train is almost complete and final adjustments are currently being made in preparation for its debut.

Vande Bharat trains are indigenous semi-high-speed trains that made headlines during both the previous Narendra Modi governments. The trains operate successfully on several routes with chair car facilities. Officials said the sleeper version is a requirement to launch the trains on longer routes.

The sleeping version will be a trainset with 16 carriages and one unit of four bogies. It will have all the basic amenities with advanced controls such as sensor-based lighting, cameras, soundproofing, windows, bio-vacuum toilets and other amenities. Officials said First AC passengers in particular will experience services like never before.

Concept photos shared by Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw suggest that the comfort in the sleeper version of Vande Bharat will be at a higher level compared to the traditional trains of the Indian Railways. Seat cushions, ladders for the upper berths and legroom are some of the factors taken into account when designing the spaces.

Railway officials said Vande Bharat sleeper trains are also part of the Modi government’s 100-day plan 3.0. Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw is personally overseeing the project. The officials further indicated that the Vande Bharat Metro will also be rolled out very soon.

Vande Bharat, previously known as Train 18, has a maximum operating speed of 160 kmph. The first Vande Bharat train was launched in 2019 and has since received much appreciation for its premium features and comfort. The first Vande Bharat was launched on the New Delhi to Varanasi route.

top videos

View all

  • Uttarakhand: A tempo traveler with 23 people on board plunged into a gorge near Alakananda river

  • Six killed in landslide in Sikkim, Sikkim CM Prem Tamang takes stock of the situation | Sikkim News

  • Water crisis in Delhi | Delhi Water Minister Atishi calls for emergency meeting | English news

  • ‘Take Down Video Of 28 March’ Delhi High Court issues notice to Sunita Kejriwal | English news

  • Skeletal remains believed to be from Sheena Bora untraceable, CBI tells special court | News18

  • Akash Sharma

    Akash Sharma, defense correspondent, CNN-News 18, covers the Defense Department

    first print: Jun 15, 2024 11:09 PM IST